Choose the Best Glue for Aluminum
Customer’s Choice: the Best Rated Glue for Aluminum
12 users answered this survey. Please help us improve this review!
Aluminum is quite a popular metal because it is very durable and resistant to outer influences. Aluminum has a number of characteristics that make it particularly difficult to bond using standard adhesives. The metal is covered with an oxide film that protects the metal surface. Moreover, aluminium has a very porous structure. For these reasons, it is considerably complicated to fix aluminum parts together. Therefore, most strong adhesives are powerless for gluing this metal as they will not bring the desired result.
If you still need to bond aluminum surfaces, you will have to look for a specific glue. Compared to adhesive mixtures, its composition is supported with special components. And their task is to prevent the formation of an oxide film on the surface.
Welding is not so easy to conduct at home, and in most cases, aluminum surfaces are being fixed together by glueing them. In order to successfully glue metal surfaces, you will need sandpaper, a special gluing substance, and a cleanser for degreasing (as a rule, acetone works well for this purpose).
- Aluminum parts will be firmly glued together by a two-component epoxy glue. But if it is required to join the surfaces made of aluminum alloy, then it is better to find a glue containing special chemicals like methyl acrylate.
- To be workable for aluminum, a glue should contain acids and alkalis. These chemicals can ruin the oxide film and simplify the adhesion of the metal parts.
- The use of epoxy-based adhesives is strictly prohibited if, in the future, the product will be in contact with drinking water and food.
- The means used for aluminum joining do not lead to metal oxidation, as in the case with gas welding. As a result, the processed surface will last much longer. Another benefit of gluing is its affordable cost.
In this article, we will talk about the five best types of glue that can be successfully used for bonding aluminum surfaces.
E6000 Craft Adhesive –super-strong repair assistant
The glue remains flexible in extreme temperatures. It fully cures within 24 hours. You do not need to hold parts together for a long time after the application.
- Extremely strong;
- Could be used indoors and outdoors;
- Creates flexible protection;
- Too strong smell.
It is advisable to have a tube of this super potent adhesive at home. It will enable you to instantly repair literally everything around, including glass and metal. It is a clear color but can be easily paintable. The adhesive does not harden instantly, so you will have time to refine it after application. Note that this glue is vapor-harmful, so it is recommended to wear a protective mask and gloves while working with it. It may be difficult to reopen it after use, so apply some Vaseline around the opening before closing with a cap.
Fast Steel-Reinforced Epoxy – a perfect bond solution for a metal
You will need to mix both components in 1:1 proportion, apply the mixture, and hold the parts for 6 minutes. The full curing takes from 4 to 6 hours, and after it, you can even drill it. The bond is permanent and very reliable.
- Easy and solid fix;
- Withstands very high temperatures;
- Fast curing time;
- Resistant to petroleum, acids, and chemicals;
- 6-minute set time;
- Cannot be removed from clothes;
The glue is designed using cold welding technology that makes it especially workable for metals. It will form reliable connections on other surfaces. If you choose it to bond metal to metal, make sure to roughen the surface areas, it will provide a stronger result. Be careful when working with this glue. After it dries properly, you will not be able to remove it from clothing and other things.
Jewelry and Metal Instant Glue – a must-have for creative people
Actually, you can return to life many broken things around using this glue. Overall, it is an indispensable part of the creative people toolset.
- No-drip formula;
- Easy to control;
- Provides a stronghold;
- Dries clear;
- Hard to clean;
The glue comes in a small metal tube covered with a seal. It allows you to make a little hole with a pin in the seal and let it out in tiny portions. It makes the adhesive very convenient to work with very little items like beads and jewelry. And its beneficial feature is that it provides strong metal to metal adhesion. In most cases, the glue works instantly. But to ensure the best result, give it 24 hours to dry well. You should wear gloves while using the glue as it is extremely hard to remove. Keep the glue nozzle clean after use so as not to struggle with its opening the next time.
Professional Multi-Surface Glue – a perfect weatherproof bond
Being so easy to use, it provides good adhesion to metal, wood, and plastic surfaces. To achieve the best result on metal surfaces, the pieces should fit together with no gaps in between.
- Does not contain hazardous substances;
- Cleans easily with water;
- It should be kept away from fire.
Unlike other popular glues, it is produced with non-toxic formula. This feature makes it ideal for school and crafting projects. This adhesive can be also used for office purposes. It comes in a little bottle and is easily applicable. The only comment left by the customers is that this glue should be used with care on the wall as it is running, being a fluid. The glue dries colorless and can be paintable.
Automotive Adhesive – a perfect auto-repairing glue
The glue turns into a gel after squeezing and is easy to reshape. Hold two pieces together for some time to achieve a better effect.
- Permanent bond;
- Insulate wires;
- Very hard to remove;
- Fixed surfaces should not often contact with water.
If you choose to fix aluminum parts with it, make sure to allow proper cure for 24-48 hours. If you have squeezed out too much glue, remove the excess, otherwise, it will take very long to dry out. Note that the stuff is very strong and somewhat toxic, therefore, avoid using it for internal parts of the car to avoid damages. It is more recommended for external use.
Gluing metal parts is a very difficult process, and aluminum is a complicated material in this respect. To succeed in this job, it is important to choose the right glue. The process of gluing aluminum is a perfect alternative to welding. Unlike the latter option, this gluing process is relatively simple.
But you need to be aware that only a special glue will bring successful results when working with aluminum. It should contain alkali and acids to enable splitting of an oxide film and improve the quality of bonding.
Today, there are many types of glue for bonding metals. The best among them are metal adhesives with a high level of viscosity. When choosing this material, it is also vital to pay attention to its safety – some products emit toxic substances during curing.
Overall, a good adhesive base for joining metal products must meet the following technical requirements:
- maximum strength and reliability;
- resistance to maximum temperature changes;
- water resistance;
- no expansion and shrinkage during curing
- corrosion protection.
Types of aluminum glues
Most often, the following two adhesives are used for aluminum bonding:
Polyurethane glue. It is the most common solution for aluminum. Polyurethane glue can be one- or two-component. For the latter, you will need to use a hardener. This type of glue is heat resistant. When using a one-component substance, the surface is to be pre-treated with water. It will provide better adhesion and firm fixation of the surfaces. Advantages of polyurethane compounds:
- Super strong bond;
- Anti-corrosion effect;
- High resistance to loads;
- Fast curing;
Polyurethane adhesive can be used to bond aluminum to aluminum and other materials including steel, resin, stone, and glass.
Epoxy glues. This agent had high adhesive properties and exclusive resistance to temperatures. Epoxy adhesives are used for the following purposes:
For the installation of aluminum structures, for strong joining of materials with different thermal conductivity;
The glue is suitable for bonding metal to wood, stone, glass. For better results and stronger joints, you may use an additional strengthening device like an elastic tape.
If you opt for an epoxy glue, you should know that you will need different proportions of the hardeners. The glue should be prepared strictly following the manufacturer’s instructions.
Related Review: Best Epoxy for Aluminum
Instructions for gluing aluminum surfaces
- The areas you want to join must be free from rust and dirt. You can process the surface with a fine-grained using sandpaper).
- The grease is easily removed with acetone. If you fail to remove greasy stains, the adhesion result will be 20% weaker.
- Then the surfaces must be properly dried.
- If you use two-component adhesive, take a special container, which you will dispose of after use.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions until you get a mixture smooth in color and viscosity. The ready-to-use glue must be used in the next 10-60 minutes. The accurate time is usually indicated on the tube or package.
- Spread glue over both surfaces in a very thin layer and press them firmly against each other. Do not overdo it to avoid squeezing out the adhesive mass.
- Remove excess glue with a dry cloth. Sometimes you need a cloth soaked in a solvent.
- Fix the position until the adhesive has completely hardened (about 15 minutes).
- Depending on the type of glue and the temperature, the curing process takes from 12 to 24 hours.
Useful Video: Gluing metal with JB Weld
As you see from this article, aluminum can be glued despite it being widely believed that it is impossible to reliably bond two aluminum parts without welding or fasteners.
Using special adhesives, aluminum can be bonded not only with the same aluminum but also with other materials. Products on the market perfectly connect aluminum to steel, polymeric materials, and even glass and stone. In most cases, the manufacturers have done everything for you, offering you a ready adhesive that is easy to apply and fast to cure. Your task is to determine the best option based on the product you need to repair. Following the instructions, you will surely succeed in gluing this capricious metal.